How to do if you lost your passport and visa in China?

2023/08/07 14:28:05

Visitors must hold and present an original and physical version of passport to travel internationally. If you lost passport in your home country (not traveling abroad yet), you shall immediately make an appointment to apply at passport acceptance facility to replace your missing passport, avoid someone use your identity to do terrible things. What should you do if you already travel in China with a China Visa on the lost passport? Below we provide the most useful solution to such accident.

5 Steps to Do When Passport & China Visa Are Lost!

During your trip to China, your passport should be taken with you all the times. We highly suggest you make both electronic and paper copies (e.g. printed paper copy, extra photocopy on phone or by email), and fill in the emergency contact information on the last page of your passport in case of any unexpected events.

If unfortunately, your passport with a China Visa is lost or stolen while staying in China, whether continue to travel or leave soon, the entire itinerary will be utterly disrupted. How to book tickets? Can I board flight as scheduled? What if I will leave China soon? Don't worry, follow the detailed procedures for a "Passport is Lost" situation.

Step 1 - Try Your Best to Find It

Return to places, attractions, restaurants, shops, bars, markets you've been visited recently to see if you can find out your passport. Ask help from the Lost and Found. There is a chance your may retrieve the lost passport back, if not, continue to the next move.

Step 2 - Report the Lost Passport to Local Police Station

Once realizing passport was lost indeed, don't get panic, just take a deep breath and calm down. There are people caught in same kind of situation before, there is always a way out. First, locate the nearest local police station (where the loss happened) and go make a official report for the lost passport ASAP. You may let the hotel receptionist or other staff to help you. Once report accepted, you will obtain a "Receipt of Report" issued by the policestation (报警回执, in Chinese only).

Note: Once you report a passport lost or stolen, it becomes invalid and could NOT used for international travel any more if get a new one.

Step 3 - Apply Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport

Apply for a "Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport" ( in both Chinese and English) in the Exit & Entry Administration of local Public Security Bureau (where your passport is lost). Below are materials you shall provide:
1) Original and copy of the police "Receipt of Report".

2) Copy of the lost passport or other identity proofs, such as ID Card, Social Security Card, Driving License, and soon.

3) 2 recent front bareheaded full-faced photos with 2-inches.

4) Completed report from (you can get from the bureau) with clear and accurate personal information, including contact number, etc.

After submission, you will wait. And it normally takes about 2 working days for processing and issuance.

Step 4 - Apply for A Replacement Passport or Temporary Passport

The issued confirmation is only valid for 30 days, which requires you to get a replacement passport and a new China Visa within 30 days together, otherwise, you will face fine or possible detention.

Therefore, as a crucial step, please promptly visit your Embassy/ Consulate in China to replace a new regular passport or temporary passport. You shall apply in person for a new passport, and bring all needed documents. The consular staff will offer assistance to his/ her best.

If you are a US citizen, bring the following items:
● Original "Confirmation of Reportingthe Loss of Passport";

● 1 recent color passport photo (2 "X2")

Step 5 - Apply for New Visa

After you get a passport or a temporary travel document, quickly apply fora new China Visa from the Exit & Entry Administration Department of local Public Security Bureau. You can't just exit China without obtaining a valid visa, the visa is needed even for Singaporeans, Japaneses and Bruneians who enjoy visa-free entry to China (because there is no entry stamp on new passport).

Here is the required materials to apply for China Visa:
◆ Original 'Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport';

◆A photocopy of the lost passport or copy of other identification with personal photo (such as ID Card, Driver's License, Work Permit, Seaman's ID, insurance card, etc.).

◆A identity confirmation letter from your Embassy/ Consulate is needed if you can't present any related proof.

◆ Temporary accommodation registration record.

Keep the registration receipt when you check in hotel or departments after entry. Others staying in host family or Chinese friend's home shall provide same receipt done in the Public Security Bureau before.

◆ One 2-inch white-background passport photo (5cm×5cm);

◆ China Visa application fee (check detailed schedules of visa fees).

Lost Passport and China Visa in China

Required Documents for China Visa Application

The PSB may demands you provide additional documents if needed. Upon receipt of all application requirements, the PSB takes about 7 working days for processing and issuance a China Visa. They may deny your application if you missed to report to get confirmation from the local Exit & Entry Administration firstly.

● Completed passport application form (DS-11 and DS-64, can be filledin when applying);

● Proof of individual identity (photo ID, driving license, student ID, etc.);

● Evidence of US/ Your Country citizenship (original birth certificate, expired passport, and else);

● Travel itinerary (flight/train/cruise tickets);

● Statement about the loss of passport;

● Passport application fee.












1) 警方“报告收据”的原件和复印件。

2) 遗失的护照复印件或其他身份证明,如身份证、社会保障卡、驾驶证等。

3) 2张2英寸的正面免冠全脸照片。

4) 来自(你可以从该局获得)的完整报告,包含清晰准确的个人信息,包括联系电话等。







● 1张彩色护照近照(2“X2”)





◆ 遗失护照复印件或其他带个人照片的身份证明复印件(如身份证、驾驶证、工作许可证、海员证、保险卡等)。

◆ 如果您不能出示任何相关证明,则需要您的大使馆/领事馆出具身份确认信。

◆ 临时住宿登记记录。


◆ 一张2英寸白色背景护照照片(5cm×5cm);

◆ 中国签证申请费(查看签证费用的详细时间表)。




● 填写完整的护照申请表(DS-11和DS-64,可在申请时填写);

● 个人身份证明(带照片的身份证、驾驶执照、学生证等);

● 美国/贵国公民身份证明(出生证明原件、过期护照等);

● 旅行行程(机票/火车票/游轮票);

● 关于护照丢失的声明;

● 护照申请费。

souces from SFBC

Online Service