What should foreign students do if they want to work in China after graduation

2024/06/28 13:43:30

It's graduation season again. What procedures do foreign students need to complete if they want to stay and work in China after graduation? The employment policy for foreigners in China is mainly based on laws and regulations such as the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China, the Guidelines for Foreigner Work Permit Services, and the Classification Standards for Foreigner Work in China. In addition, in order to attract talents, various regions will also introduce some local policies, and the specific situation should be notified by the personnel department of the employment unit.


According to the localization management regulations of the National Immigration Administration, all types of work permits for foreigners should be processed in the location of their workplace, and the policies based on this should also be based on the location of their workplace. Converting from a study residence permit to a work residence permit usually requires applying for: the People's Republic of China Foreigner Work Permit Notice, the People's Republic of China Foreigner Work Permit, and the People's Republic of China Foreigner Residence Permit (residence subject: work). Generally speaking, applying for a work permit requires two years or more of relevant work experience (proof of work experience issued by the original employer is required). However, according to the Notice of the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the Ministry of Education on Allowing Outstanding Foreign University Graduates to Work in China, it is planned to allow some outstanding foreign university graduates (with a master's degree or above) without work experience to work in China.


Graduates usually need to provide: passport, ID photo (2-inch white background), highest degree certificate, medical examination certificate (within six months), and relevant work qualification certificate of two years or more (if any).


(1) Internship during the study period is not considered work experience for students.

(2) If you have excellent academic performance or have won awards, you can provide supplementary materials such as transcripts, scholarship certificates, recommendation letters, vocational certificates, or published academic papers.

(3) The Labor Contract is generally made in duplicate, with one copy held by the graduate and one copy held by the employer. Sometimes, graduates are required to provide a copy of their own Labor Contract when handling procedures. When signing a contract, it should be noted that the contract should include necessary elements that must be reflected, such as contract period, salary, job position, etc.


Can a study residence permit be converted directly into a work residence permit within China without leaving the country?

The prerequisite for obtaining a work residence permit is to obtain the Foreigner's Work Permit of the People's Republic of China. Fresh doctoral graduates under the age of 40 who work at postdoctoral workstations or have other qualifications that meet the requirements of foreign high-end talents (Class A) can directly apply for the People's Republic of China Foreigner Work Permit in China, and after obtaining it, apply for a work related residence permit in China. If it does not meet the requirements for foreign high-end talents (Class A), international students holding a study residence permit should, in principle, leave the country after graduation. They should apply for a work visa in their country of nationality with the assistance of their employment unit, and enter China with a work visa. Then, they should apply for a work permit and a work residence permit for foreigners in the People's Republic of China. Please consulting with local bureau.














sources from CNVISA

Online Service