When do I need to change my residence permit?

2024/02/22 10:58:07

Foreigners work, study and live in China, and the information on their residence permits may also change as their living and working status changes. Under what circumstances do foreigners need to change their residence permit?

1. Change of residence reason, passport number, etc

If the reason for residence or passport number of a foreigner holding a residence permit has changed, he or she must apply for a new residence permit to the residence permit issuing authority within 10 working days from the date of receipt of the change notice. If you fail to change the residence permit over time, you may be fined by the police and be allowed to leave the country according to law.

2. Change of address, school, work unit, etc

If the foreigner's residence address, school, work unit and other information has changed, he also needs to apply for a change to the residence permit issuing authority within 10 days. Change operation and cancellation operation need to fill in the application form and provide relevant supporting materials, such as change of address need to update the temporary accommodation registration form for overseas personnel.

3. Move out/into another city

If you need to move from one city to another city, you can also apply for change to the Exit and Entry Administration of the public security organ at the place of relocation or the place of relocation. Usually, in this case, the foreigner needs to apply for the change together with his or her spouse or relative.


Application process

To change the residence permit, you need to submit your valid passport and the original residence permit. Those who have already obtained a new passport need to submit the original of the old passport. Complete the "Foreigner Visa Document Application Form" and provide a recent 2-inch half-length headless photo. At the same time, it is necessary to submit the relevant certification materials for changing the residence registration items.


For example, if you change your residential address, you need to update the temporary accommodation registration form for overseas personnel. If the residence permit holder's name, passport number and other information changes, it is necessary to update the temporary accommodation registration form for overseas personnel and submit the original and photocopy of the change certificate issued by the passport issuing authority.


If you want to add a companion, you also need to submit a recent 2-inch half-body headless photo of the applicant and the companion and the corresponding proof of family relationship. If you change your work unit (school), you also need to submit relevant proof that the original work (study) residence reason has been terminated.


In short, in any case where the residence permit information needs to be changed, foreigners should apply for the change procedure in time to avoid the trouble caused by the wrong information. Especially in the case of frequent changes in residence, study and work experience, special attention should be paid to handling the change procedures in time to protect their legitimate rights and interests.



1. 居留原因、护照号码等变更如果持有居留许可的外国人的居留原因或者护照号码等信息发生了变化,必须在接到变更通知之日起10个工作日内,向居留许可签发机关申请新的居留许可。一旦超时未办理居留许可变更手续,可能会受到警方的罚款、依法予以出境等惩罚措施。

2. 地址、就读院校、工作单位等变更如果外国人的居留地址、就读院校、工作单位等信息发生变化,也需要在10天内向居留许可签发机关申请变更。变更操作和撤销操作需要填写申请表并提供相关的证明材料,如变更地址需要更新境外人员临时住宿登记单。

3. 迁出/迁入另一个城市如果需要从一个城市迁往另一个城市,也可以向迁出地或者迁入地公安机关出入境管理机构申请变更。通常,这种情况下,外国人需要随同配偶或亲属共同申请变更。




sources from CNVISA


Online Service